Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Come and dirty your hands with me...

Hello everyone and welcome to my floury, tangy and "aromatic" blog. Follow me on this journey of sticky dough, messy hands and dusty kitchen, all because of my new found hobby, the baking of Sourdough Bread...

I was challenged by a good friend of mine to try my hand in baking Sourdough bread and being a "sure can do" person, I took that somewhat "messy" challenge and plunge myself into the unknown world of bread baking. Wa lah, I have been at it for the past 2 months or so and have been feeding people around me with some of the palettable breads, hankering for feedbacks, trawling the internet for information, tips, tricks and much more... Baking sourdough requires time and patience which I have since discovered, to me cutting corners will be a big "NO NO" unless, if you are satisfied with just bread to eat!!! Baking sourdough was not easy for me but to some, it might seem a breeze....

So while I continue with this crazy journey, I hope you guys out there, like-minded or not, will join me and share information & experiences with this thing called "Sourdough"

Cheers...
Don

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking site Don, I also think that it's terrific that you are doing a blog. Although you are past the raw beginner stage it will be very interesting to watch your progress as you gain more experience, looking forward to it.
regards
Bill44

27 June, 2006 09:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Don, great start! I hope to see lots of goodies here in the future!
Maybe a lot more of the regulars on the yahoo group will have some blogs too and we can link them all together! It is much easier to post what you are doing this way.
Have a great bake tomorrow!
Teresa

27 June, 2006 10:16  
Blogger Don said...

Teresa,

Thank you and welcome to this humble blog. I look forward to your many contributions together with people like Bill and the rest...

Cheers...
Don

27 June, 2006 11:01  
Blogger Don said...

Bill, you're Numero Uno on my blog!!! Thanks for dropping a note and I will try to keep it going...

Cheers...
Don

27 June, 2006 11:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow great bread. Have been struggling with sourdough for quite a while but cannot get the same results as you. Much admired the crumb and texture of your wholemeal loaf. I see it was baked in a bread tin. Did you knead it by hand, and for how long. Also do you have a proper bakers oven, I line the bottom and sides of my oven with block paving stones and find it improves the loaves somewhat. Keep up the good work
Rudolf England

11 September, 2006 10:38  
Blogger Don said...

Hi Rudolf,

Apologies for the very late reply, I have not been doing sourdough bakes till lately. To your question, yes, it was hand-kneaded using a method by Dan Lepard. Dough was mixed, left to rest for 10mins then turn onto a clean suface coated lightly with oil and knead for 10 to 15secs then back into the bowl. This kneading is done twice more at 10mins interval.
After the third time, rest for 10mins then turn onto clean surface and gently press out into a rectangle, take the top edge and fold into the centre followed by the bottom edge over the top. Turn the dough 90deg and do the same then return to the bowl covered for an hour. Repeat this folding process for another hour then slit into dough to look for bubbles. If you see them, you can shape the dough and place into your loaf tin for final proofing. If not, do the folding and check back after 30mins.

To your other question, I do not have a bakers oven, just the normal home oven with a terracotta tile as baking stone.

Hope this helps...

Cheers...
Don

16 October, 2006 01:22  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Don, I really want to try making 'sourdough'; is there somewhere on the website where I can find the recipes & how to make the starter? It sounds like you have really mastered the art & I would love to have a go!

02 October, 2007 18:14  
Blogger Don said...

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your comment and I do not have any recipe listed as yet. You might want to visit the websites, like www.danlepard.com and www.sourdough.com.au listed on my blog for recipes and more hints and resources.

Cheers...
Don

03 October, 2007 11:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home